1. Physical rest
Lack of sleep and overtraining deplete your body’s energy. Get two types of physical rest, passive and active:
- Sleep 7+ hours nightly
- Take power naps as needed
- Get a massage
- Use an ergonomic chair + desk
2. Mental rest
Mental rest deficit is caused by overtaxing your thinking.
- Write down your to-dos
- Reference checklists (packing, groceries, etc.)
- Create a shutdown ritual to separate work and life
- Take a break from problem-solving
3. Social rest
Evaluate your relationships
- Spend more time with people who give you energy
- Spend less time with people who steal your energy
- If you are an introvert, block out time to be alone
4. Spiritual rest
Be a part of something bigger than yourself.
- Work a job that feels purpose-driven
- Participate in fath-based activities (if aligned with your belief system)
5. Sensory rest
The modern individual is overstimulated.
- Take a break from social media
- Turn off notifications
- Limit video meetings
- Set a relaxing evening ambience (soothing music, candles, etc.)
6. Emotional rest
Emotional rest deficit occurs when you feel like you can’t be authentic. E.g. An airline attendant who must always smile, despite rude passengers.
- Spend time with people you can be authentic around
- Try speaking with a therapist to release emotional labor
7. Creative rest
Appreciate beauty in any form, whether natural or human-created:
- Take in a sunrise or sunset
- Go for a walk in nature
- Visit a museum or art festival
- Engage with inspiring music, books, documentaries etc.
Source: Some random post I saw on my LinkedIn feed