- Current Role
- Previous Projects/Roles
- Invited talks
Architect and systems integrator for complex, safety critical systems since 13 years. PhD in architectures for highly automated driving. Skilled in software & firmware development, control systems design, functional safety, cybersecurity, embedded hardware, computer networking, and systems engineering.
I currently have two jobs.
- Researcher at KTH The Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden: I co-supervise a PhD student in the area of autonomous driving.
- Senior Manager, Systems Engineering - Autonomous Driving, Toyota Research Institute (TRI), Los Altos, USA. At TRI, I provide leadership for innovation and development in the following areas of highly automated driving:
- Complete System Reference Architecture (functional, software, hardware): Modular, scalable, high performance reference architecture poised to take advantage of changing requirements and technology.
- Functional Safety: Proof, evidence, arguments for absence of unreasonable risk
- Systems Integration: Ensuring the vehicle-as-a-whole consistently exhibits desired behavior
- Model Based Systems Engineering: Technologies, tools, and processes to manage development of complex, safety-critical systems
At Zoox Inc. - an autonomous driving startup in California, USA
August 2016 - July 2017: Head of EE Integration
- Create and manage the "function book" for vehicle integration. This defines how various bits of functionality come together to provide relevant customer and vehicle features e.g. energy management.
- Oversee drill down of E/E architecture and functional safety from previous role. Scope: all vehicle subsystems, emergency and safe stop strategies
- Define and implement cybersecurity architecture. Scope includes partitioning, specifying requirements on firewalls, gateways, individual ECUs and network communication, as well as establishment of in-house public key infrastructure for operational and supply chain support
- Establish systems engineering processes and tools for safety critical embedded systems. Scope includes practices for architecture representation, requirements management with traceability, selection and roll-oute of an Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tool across the company, and systems to generate compliance, testing, and activity reports for accident investigation and regulatory committees
- Define program management tasks, milestones and priorities for vehicle integration
October 2015 - August 2016: Head of System Architecture
- Led design and development of the novel vehicle platform which helped Zoox raise $250 million in seed A funding
- Established baseline mechatronics (E/E) architecture for production intent autonomous vehicle. Scope included sensing/perception, compute, networking, cybersecurity, diagnostics, over-the-air updates, as well as distributed software architecture for vehicle dynamics control and communications middleware
- Led preliminary functional safety assessment (and subsequent revisions) of the production intent architecture. Scope included ISO26262 relevant lifecycle activities for analysis of hazards and risks, establishment of safety goals, functional and technical safety concepts, redundancy management, selection of safety relevant implementation technologies and software/programming tools
- Established baseline electrical, control, and software architecture for the more "traditional" automotive areas: braking, steering, propulsion, body controls, HMI, and high availability low voltage power supply
With KTH, Sweden
- Developed an upgraded version of the KTH Research Concept Vehicle (RCV-2.0) to be used as the basis for a completely autonomous vehicle. Technology licensed to a private company.
- Developed Electrical/Electronic (E/E) system architecture for the KTH Research Concept Vehicle (RCV). The RCV platform is the basis for significant research at KTH and a number of its variants are commissioned by field-leading private companies in Sweden, Europe, and USA
- Lead architect and developer of a partially autonomous driving system for a commercial truck. System demonstrated at the Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge, the Netherlands, 2011 and CoAct 2012 Driving demonstration, Sweden 2012.
- Developed a generalized Motion Planning and Control system for robot manipulators moving in the presence of obstacles. Demonstrated on 3 different robot platforms.
- Designed a mobile robotics platform with vision, manipulation and computation capabilities for EU FP7 cognitive robotics project CogX. Platform in use at 6 partner universities.
- Integration engineer for EU FP6 cognitive robotics project CoSy. Assignment involved integrating research output from all project partners into the robotics platform.
With Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., India (M&M is one of India’s largest automobile companies)
- Developed a Common Rail Diesel Engine for a commercial Sports Utility Vehicle, with vehicle integration and emissions engineering to meet Euro IV emission norms. Vehicle was launched in many countries in Europe, Africa, the Americas, Australia and India.
- Developed a highly fault tolerant system to program in-vehicle ECUs at vehicle assembly line. System was used for several years at manufacturing plant during daily vehicle production.
- Developed a hand-held, computer based diagnostic tool to read and resolve faults in vehicle ECUs. Tool was deployed to workshops and service centers across India.
- Electric powertrain, chassis control, energy management, HVAC, Body controls, infotainment, telematics
- System Engineering
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), SysML, UML, AADL, EAST-ADL, Requirements management, traceability, Polarion, architecture representation
- Embedded hardware
- Microcontrollers, board bringup, device drivers, clock synchronization, analog and digital i/o, dSpace autobox tools
- CAN, Ethernet, TCP/UDP IP, Data Distribution Service (DDS), ZeroMQ, various UNIX Inter-Process Communication (IPC), Universal Diagnostic Services (UDS)
- Functional safety
- HARA, FMEDA, Functional safety concept (FSC), Technical safety concept(TSC), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), ISO26262 lifecycle
- Asymmetric and symmetric encryption, hash digests, hardware security modules, public key infrastructure, certificate authorities, seed-key protocols
- Fluent in English, Marathi, and Hindi. Working knowledge of Swedish. Basic knowledge of German, French, and Italian
- Internal Safety Systems for Robotic VehiclesPublication number US9517767 B1Publication date Dec. 13, 2016
- (Pending) Resilient Safety System for a Robotic VehicleApplication number 14/932,952Filed date Nov. 4, 2015
- Invited expert/speaker/chair at industrial conferences and educational courses in Europe and USA. See Invited talks
- Represented Sweden in the area of autonomous systems, as part of a Swedish government+industry+academia delegation to explore cooperation with counterparts in Brazil, Nov. 2014, São Paulo
- M&M Product Innovation Award for best business driven product innovation in 2004-2005
- M&M Process Innovation Award for best business driven process innovation in 2005-2006
- M&M Outstanding Job Achievement Award for work on an electric hybrid vehicle displayed at the 8th Auto Expo in New Delhi in 2006
- Best Outgoing Student Award during final year of graduate studies
- MF2044 Embedded Systems for Mechatronics, II (Spring 2012, 2013, 2014)
- MF2058 Mechatronics, Advanced Course (2013, 2014)
- MF2063 Embedded Systems Design Project (Autumn 2012)
- MF2042 Embedded Systems for Mechatronics, I (Autumn 2011)
At KTH, Sweden
- Naveen Mohan (PhD. ongoing) Co-supervision of PhD research on architecture and methods for autonomous driving
- Adam Lundström (MSc. 2016) Co-supervision "Finding strategies for running Ada code in real-time on a Linux-based single board computer platform"
- Stefanos Kokogias (MSc. 2015) "Design and implementation of a fault tolerant controller on a prototype vehicle, using an active steering approach"
- Karin Fåhraeus (MSc. 2015) "Enhancement of the development process with software in the loop simulations, An embedded control case study"
- Jonathan Holmström (MSc.2015) "Lane keeping assistance using low-cost satellite aided positioning technology in modern highway navigation"
- Ioannis Tzioumakas (MSc. 2015) "Centralized environment database for vehicles"
- Daniel Eriksson and John-Eric Ericsson (MSc. 2014) "Indoor positioning and localization system with sensor fusion"
- Johan Schagerström (MSc. 2014) "Cow behavior monitoring with motion sensor"
- Johanna Simonsson and Kim Öberg (MSc. 2014) "Power consumption and optimization of an irrigation network"
- Daniel Lind, (MSc. 2014) "Performance evaluation of HTTP servers in embedded systems"
- Emelie Brus, (MSc. ongoing) "Controlling Wifi components from a web interface"
- Gustav Karlsson and Magnus Dormvik (MSc. 2011) "Construction of generic test environment for embedded systems"
- Cybersecurity for Highly Automated DrivingInvited keynote at Vehicle Electronics and Connected Services (VECS) 201813 April, 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Architectures, ODDs, and Testing of Autonomous VehiclesInvited workshop at Testing ADAS and Self-Driving Cars16 March, 2018, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Testing ADAS and Self-Driving CarsConference chairman13-16 March, 2018, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Cybersecurity for Autonomous VehiclesInvited workshop at Automotive Tech.ADNovember 17, 2017, Detroit, USA
- New Concepts of Steer-by-WireInvited workshop at 4th International Conference Steering Systems USA 2017June 14, 2017, Ann Arbor, USA
- Testing ADAS and Self-Driving CarsConference chairman28-29 March, 2017, Frankfurt, Germany
- Invited speaker at Automotive Tech.ADDec. 2, 2016, Detroit, USA
- Safety of Non-deterministic FunctionsInvited speaker + Chairman of conference day 1 at System Safety 201619-21 September, 2016, Las Vegas, USA
- Preparing for the Robo-Taxi: Emerging Technology PerspectivesInvited Expert for Panel Discussion at AUVSI's workshop "The Future of Shared Mobility: Making the Robo-Taxi a Reality"December 3, 2015, Jacksonville, USA
- Testing and Verification for Autonomous DrivingModerated World-Café session at Automotive Tech.ADNov. 17, 2015, Detroit, USA
- The Long Term Vision for Autonomous DrivingModerated Round Table discussion at Automotive Tech.ADNov. 16, 2015, Detroit, USA
- EIT Digital summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2015June 23, 2015, Stockholm, Sweden
- EIT Digital summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2015June 22, 2015, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1st Brazilian Swedish Workshop in Aeronautics and Defence, Aeronautics Institute of Technology (ITA)November 14, 2014, São Jose dos Campos, Brazil
- The safety-availability tradeoff in autonomous drivingModerated World-Café sessions at Automotive Tech.AD - The road towards autonomous drivingFebruary 27, 2015, Berlin, Germany
- EIT ICT Labs summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2014July 04, 2014, Trento, Italy
- EIT ICT Labs summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2014July 03, 2014, Trento, Italy
- Embedded Systems II course (MF2044), KTH31 March 2014, Stockholm, Sweden
- ICES Workshop on Architectures for Autonomous MachinesJanuary 14, 2014, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden
- Elektronik i Fordon 2012April 25, 2012, Gothenburg, Sweden