- Current Role
- Previous Projects/Roles
- Invited talks
Architect and systems integrator for complex, safety critical systems since 13 years. PhD in architectures for highly automated driving. Skilled in software & firmware development, control systems design, functional safety, cybersecurity, embedded hardware, computer networking, and systems engineering.
I currently have two jobs.
- Researcher at KTH The Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden
- Manager for Functional Safety and Architecture - Autonomous Driving, <undisclosed-location>, Palo Alto, USA
At Zoox Inc. - an autonomous driving startup in California, USA
August 2016 - July 2017: Head of EE Integration
- Create and manage the "function book" for vehicle integration. This defines how various bits of functionality come together to provide relevant customer and vehicle features e$
- Oversee drill down of E/E architecture and functional safety from previous role. Scope: all vehicle subsystems, emergency and safe stop strategies
- Define and implement cybersecurity architecture. Scope includes partitioning, specifying requirements on firewalls, gateways, individual ECUs and network communication, as wel$
- Establish systems engineering processes and tools for safety critical embedded systems. Scope includes practices for architecture representation, requirements management with $
- Define program management tasks, milestones and priorities for vehicle integration
October 2015 - August 2016: Head of System Architecture
- Led design and development of the novel vehicle platform which helped Zoox raise $250 million in seed A funding
- Established baseline mechatronics (E/E) architecture for production intent autonomous vehicle. Scope included sensing/perception, compute, networking, cybersecurity, diagnosti$
- Led preliminary functional safety assessment (and subsequent revisions) of the production intent architecture. Scope included ISO26262 relevant lifecycle activities for analys$
- Established baseline electrical, control, and software architecture for the more "traditional" automotive areas: braking, steering, propulsion, body controls, HMI, and high av$
With KTH, Sweden
- Developed an upgraded version of the KTH Research Concept Vehicle (RCV-2.0) to be used as the basis for a completely autonomous vehicle. Technology licensed to a private company.
- Developed Electrical/Electronic (E/E) system architecture for the KTH Research Concept Vehicle (RCV). The RCV platform is the basis for significant research at KTH and a number of its variants are commissioned by field-leading private companies in Sweden, Europe, and USA
- Lead architect and developer of a partially autonomous driving system for a commercial truck. System demonstrated at the Grand Cooperative Driving Challenge, the Netherlands, 2011 and CoAct 2012 Driving demonstration, Sweden 2012.
- Developed a generalized Motion Planning and Control system for robot manipulators moving in the presence of obstacles. Demonstrated on 3 different robot platforms.
- Designed a mobile robotics platform with vision, manipulation and computation capabilities for EU FP7 cognitive robotics project CogX. Platform in use at 6 partner universities.
- Integration engineer for EU FP6 cognitive robotics project CoSy. Assignment involved integrating research output from all project partners into the robotics platform.
With Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., India (M&M is one of India’s largest automobile companies)
- Developed a Common Rail Diesel Engine for a commercial Sports Utility Vehicle, with vehicle integration and emissions engineering to meet Euro IV emission norms. Vehicle was launched in many countries in Europe, Africa, the Americas, Australia and India.
- Developed a highly fault tolerant system to program in-vehicle ECUs at vehicle assembly line. System was used for several years at manufacturing plant during daily vehicle production.
- Developed a hand-held, computer based diagnostic tool to read and resolve faults in vehicle ECUs. Tool was deployed to workshops and service centers across India.
- Electric powertrain, chassis control, energy management, HVAC, Body controls, infotainment, telematics
- System Engineering
- Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), SysML, UML, AADL, EAST-ADL, Requirements management, traceability, Polarion, architecture representation
- Embedded hardware
- Microcontrollers, board bringup, device drivers, clock synchronization, analog and digital i/o, dSpace autobox tools
- CAN, Ethernet, TCP/UDP IP, Data Distribution Service (DDS), ZeroMQ, various UNIX Inter-Process Communication (IPC), Universal Diagnostic Services (UDS)
- Functional safety
- HARA, FMEDA, Functional safety concept (FSC), Technical safety concept(TSC), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), ISO26262 lifecycle
- Asymmetric and symmetric encryption, hash digests, hardware security modules, public key infrastructure, certificate authorities, seed-key protocols
- Fluent in English, Marathi, and Hindi. Working knowledge of Swedish. Basic knowledge of German, French, and Italian
- Internal Safety Systems for Robotic VehiclesPublication number US9517767 B1Publication date Dec. 13, 2016
- (Pending) Resilient Safety System for a Robotic VehicleApplication number 14/932,952Filed date Nov. 4, 2015
- Invited expert/speaker/chair at industrial conferences and educational courses in Europe and USA. See Invited talks
- Represented Sweden in the area of autonomous systems, as part of a Swedish government+industry+academia delegation to explore cooperation with counterparts in Brazil, Nov. 2014, São Paulo
- M&M Product Innovation Award for best business driven product innovation in 2004-2005
- M&M Process Innovation Award for best business driven process innovation in 2005-2006
- M&M Outstanding Job Achievement Award for work on an electric hybrid vehicle displayed at the 8th Auto Expo in New Delhi in 2006
- Best Outgoing Student Award during final year of graduate studies
- MF2044 Embedded Systems for Mechatronics, II (Spring 2012, 2013, 2014)
- MF2058 Mechatronics, Advanced Course (2013, 2014)
- MF2063 Embedded Systems Design Project (Autumn 2012)
- MF2042 Embedded Systems for Mechatronics, I (Autumn 2011)
At KTH, Sweden
- Naveen Mohan (PhD. ongoing) Co-supervision of PhD research on architecture and methods for autonomous driving
- Adam Lundström (MSc. 2016) Co-supervision "Finding strategies for running Ada code in real-time on a Linux-based single board computer platform"
- Stefanos Kokogias (MSc. 2015) "Design and implementation of a fault tolerant controller on a prototype vehicle, using an active steering approach"
- Karin Fåhraeus (MSc. 2015) "Enhancement of the development process with software in the loop simulations, An embedded control case study"
- Jonathan Holmström (MSc.2015) "Lane keeping assistance using low-cost satellite aided positioning technology in modern highway navigation"
- Ioannis Tzioumakas (MSc. 2015) "Centralized environment database for vehicles"
- Daniel Eriksson and John-Eric Ericsson (MSc. 2014) "Indoor positioning and localization system with sensor fusion"
- Johan Schagerström (MSc. 2014) "Cow behavior monitoring with motion sensor"
- Johanna Simonsson and Kim Öberg (MSc. 2014) "Power consumption and optimization of an irrigation network"
- Daniel Lind, (MSc. 2014) "Performance evaluation of HTTP servers in embedded systems"
- Emelie Brus, (MSc. ongoing) "Controlling Wifi components from a web interface"
- Gustav Karlsson and Magnus Dormvik (MSc. 2011) "Construction of generic test environment for embedded systems"
- Cybersecurity for Highly Automated DrivingInvited keynote at Vehicle Electronics and Connected Services (VECS) 201813 April, 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Architectures, ODDs, and Testing of Autonomous VehiclesInvited workshop at Testing ADAS and Self-Driving Cars16 March, 2018, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Testing ADAS and Self-Driving CarsConference chairman13-16 March, 2018, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Cybersecurity for Autonomous VehiclesInvited workshop at Automotive Tech.ADNovember 17, 2017, Detroit, USA
- New Concepts of Steer-by-WireInvited workshop at 4th International Conference Steering Systems USA 2017June 14, 2017, Ann Arbor, USA
- Testing ADAS and Self-Driving CarsConference chairman28-29 March, 2017, Frankfurt, Germany
- Invited speaker at Automotive Tech.ADDec. 2, 2016, Detroit, USA
- Safety of Non-deterministic FunctionsInvited speaker + Chairman of conference day 1 at System Safety 201619-21 September, 2016, Las Vegas, USA
- Preparing for the Robo-Taxi: Emerging Technology PerspectivesInvited Expert for Panel Discussion at AUVSI's workshop "The Future of Shared Mobility: Making the Robo-Taxi a Reality"December 3, 2015, Jacksonville, USA
- Testing and Verification for Autonomous DrivingModerated World-Café session at Automotive Tech.ADNov. 17, 2015, Detroit, USA
- The Long Term Vision for Autonomous DrivingModerated Round Table discussion at Automotive Tech.ADNov. 16, 2015, Detroit, USA
- EIT Digital summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2015June 23, 2015, Stockholm, Sweden
- EIT Digital summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2015June 22, 2015, Stockholm, Sweden
- 1st Brazilian Swedish Workshop in Aeronautics and Defence, Aeronautics Institute of Technology (ITA)November 14, 2014, São Jose dos Campos, Brazil
- The safety-availability tradeoff in autonomous drivingModerated World-Café sessions at Automotive Tech.AD - The road towards autonomous drivingFebruary 27, 2015, Berlin, Germany
- EIT ICT Labs summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2014July 04, 2014, Trento, Italy
- EIT ICT Labs summer school on Cyber-Physical Systems 2014July 03, 2014, Trento, Italy
- Embedded Systems II course (MF2044), KTH31 March 2014, Stockholm, Sweden
- ICES Workshop on Architectures for Autonomous MachinesJanuary 14, 2014, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden
- Elektronik i Fordon 2012April 25, 2012, Gothenburg, Sweden